Ian Kennedy represents clients in employment, labour and human rights matters. He has appeared before the B.C. Supreme Court, the B.C. Provincial Court, the B.C. Labour Relations Board, and the B.C. Employment Standards Tribunal, as well as in private arbitrations and mediations.
Ian is a former adjunct faculty member at the UBC Faculty of Law where he taught a seminar on Labour Law and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. He was nominated by his students for an adjunct faculty award.
Prior to joining Tevlin Gleadle Curtis, Ian articled and practiced for two years at a leading labour and employment law firm in Vancouver. He is a former BC Supreme Court clerk for Chief Justice Robert Bauman. He holds a law degree from the University of Toronto where he was the recipient of the MacDonald Prize in Public International Law and published in the University of Toronto Law Review.
Ian maintains an interest in public law and international law. He has worked with the BC Civil Liberties Association in Vancouver and the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in The Hague. He is a former fellow of the Canadian Centre for International Justice.
Ian’s advocacy skills were recently commended by a B.C. Supreme Court judge. Deciding the case in favour of his client, the judge thanked Ian in her reasons for “very thorough, focused, and complete submissions” and for having “said everything that could have been said” on behalf of his client: Luchuk v. Starbucks Coffee Canada Inc., 2016 BCSC 830.
Outside the office, Ian enjoys running trails in the mountains and reading books in coffee shops.
- Bishop v. Rexel Canada Electrical Inc., 2016 BCSC 2351
- Luchuk v. Starbucks Coffee Canada Inc., 2016 BCSC 830
- Bowman v. Coastal Shellfish Corporation, 2016 BCSC 726
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Provincial Council v. Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia, 2016 BCSC 488
- Suncoast Heath Corp. v. The Director of Employment Standards, BC EST # D058/16
- Aiello v. Unifor, Local Union No. 2000, 2015 CanLII 78610 (BC LRB)
- Kamloops (City) v. Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 900, 2015 CanLII 55025 (BC LA)
- Schmitz v. Van Der Loos, 2015 BCPC 77
FIVE-STAR CLIENT TESTIMONIALS ON GOOGLE REVIEWS
- “If you’re in need of exceptional counsel, look no further. Ian Kennedy’s diligence and skill is matched only by his communication and follow through. For those that have ever gone through the stress of a legal situation, the ability to trust that someone is consistently working in your best interest is beyond invaluable. Ian is supportive, influential, and never forgets that you’re the client. I would not hesitate to recommend Ian to anyone who’s non-negotiable requirement is absolute trust.”
- “Mr. Ian Kennedy proved himself to be a very thoughtful, caring, and competent lawyer … At each and every stage of the process, I felt valued, that my concerns were being heard and addressed, and that there was a strategy in place with respect to how best to move forward. In the final analysis, Mr. Kennedy demonstrated considerably skill in his ability to negotiate a settlement.”
- “I have recently worked with Ian Kennedy at Tevlin Gleadle. I found him very friendly and informative. Upon agreement he formed a letter on my behalf and sent to me for approval. The letter was very professional with strong historical backup. Ian followed through with my situation and expedited it very quickly to my satisfaction. I would definitely recommend Ian Kennedy as a representative.“
- “Ian Kennedy from Tevlin Gleadle Curtis provided exceptional service during a very difficult period of my life. His personal commitment, professionalism and sensitivity regarding the issues I was facing was always notable. Ian worked very hard work, was always diligent and his attention to detail throughout this process was always apparent. Moreover, I really appreciated his kindness, concern and integrity. He is an exceptional lawyer.”
- “I would like to thank Tevlin Gleadle Curtis and Ian Kennedy for representing me. I was wrongfully dismissed. They were able to secure a resolution for me and that I am very happy with. It cost me much less than I would have expected. Ian Kennedy provided me the legal services and professionalism that exceeded my expectations. He is kind and understanding of his client’s situation and up to date of the latest information. I would highly recommend Tevlin Gleadle Curtis Employment Law strategies.”