Ian Kennedy represents clients in employment, labour and human rights matters. He regularly appears before the B.C. Supreme Court and has previously appeared in front of the B.C. Provincial Court, the B.C. Labour Relations Board, and the B.C. Employment Standards Tribunal as well as conducting private arbitrations and mediations. After graduating from law school, Ian clerked for Chief Justice Robert Bauman of the B.C. Supreme Court.
Ian joined our team in 2016 and almost immediately distinguished himself as an employment lawyer. Ian has won several trials and hearings in his first year with our firm and lost none. A justice of the B.C. Supreme Court judge recently commended Ian’s abilities in a case Ian won. The judge specifically thanked Ian in her decision for “very thorough, focused, and complete submissions” and for having “said everything that could have been said” on behalf of his client.
Ian formerly taught a seminar on Labour Law and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms at the UBC Faculty of Law. His students nominated him for an adjunct faculty award. In May of 2017, Ian gave a presentation to the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC regarding updates in the field of employment law.
Prior to joining Tevlin Gleadle Curtis Employment Law Strategies, Ian articled and practiced for two years at a leading labour and employment law firm in Vancouver.
Ian holds a law degree from the University of Toronto where he was the recipient of the MacDonald Prize in Public International Law and published in the University of Toronto Law Review.
Ian maintains an interest in public law and international law. He has worked with the B.C. Civil Liberties Association in Vancouver and the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in The Hague. He is a former fellow of the Canadian Centre for International Justice.
Outside the office, Ian enjoys running trails in the mountains and reading books in coffee shops.
- Bishop v. Rexel Canada Electrical Inc., 2016 BCSC 2351
- Luchuk v. Starbucks Coffee Canada Inc., 2016 BCSC 830
- Bowman v. Coastal Shellfish Corporation, 2016 BCSC 726
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Provincial Council v. Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia, 2016 BCSC 488
- Suncoast Heath Corp. v. The Director of Employment Standards, BC EST # D058/16
- Aiello v. Unifor, Local Union No. 2000, 2015 CanLII 78610 (BC LRB)
- Kamloops (City) v. Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 900, 2015 CanLII 55025 (BC LA)
- Schmitz v. Van Der Loos, 2015 BCPC 77
Five-Star Client Testimonials on Google Places
- “If you’re in need of exceptional counsel, look no further. Ian Kennedy’s diligence and skill is matched only by his communication and follow through. For those that have ever gone through the stress of a legal situation, the ability to trust that someone is consistently working in your best interest is beyond invaluable. Ian is supportive, influential, and never forgets that you’re the client. I would not hesitate to recommend Ian to anyone who’s non-negotiable requirement is absolute trust.”
- “I have recently worked with Ian Kennedy at Tevlin Gleadle. I found him very friendly and informative. Upon agreement he formed a letter on my behalf and sent to me for approval. The letter was very professional with strong historical backup. Ian followed through with my situation and expedited it very quickly to my satisfaction. I would definitely recommend Ian Kennedy as a representative.“
- “Ian Kennedy from Tevlin Gleadle Curtis provided exceptional service during a very difficult period of my life. His personal commitment, professionalism and sensitivity regarding the issues I was facing was always notable. Ian worked very hard work, was always diligent and his attention to detail throughout this process was always apparent. Moreover, I really appreciated his kindness, concern and integrity. He is an exceptional lawyer.”
- “I would like to thank Tevlin Gleadle Curtis and Ian Kennedy for representing me. I was wrongfully dismissed. They were able to secure a resolution for me and that I am very happy with. It cost me much less than I would have expected. Ian Kennedy provided me the legal services and professionalism that exceeded my expectations. He is kind and understanding of his client’s situation and up to date of the latest information. I would highly recommend Tevlin Gleadle Curtis Employment Law strategies.”